Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Settings, or where the hell does this take place?

A question came in from a reader who asked how I decided on the setting. Assuming she meant where in the world this book takes place, I can say it is really simple. I live in Colorado Springs, and the book is set in Colorado Springs. Someone once said to write what you know. I know where I live, so it was the easiest place to put myself when writing about this situation.

I was talking with my wife today about writing some stand alone fiction, set in this world, under these rules, that takes place in other areas. While this particular series is really about this one group of people form this one place in the world, it is interesting to me to think how people in other parts of the world might respond to these challenges. For instance, on a Pacific or Caribbean Island, in a major Metropolitan area, or in the Wilds of the Yukon or Siberia.  How would those settings change what happens to society and individuals.

Where would you like to see a story set?

While you are thinking about that, tell your friends to pick up a copy of the book at the Kindle store for $2.99, and take a gander at the review below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me get to

Alright, here goes. This is a little scary to me, in all candor, but I am doing it anyway. One of my greatest hopes is that my stories wil...